Thursday, January 28, 2016

Sculpting Mini-Elephants: An Art-Thursday

Hello! Happy Art-Thursday :)

I was recently reminded how much I love and missed sculpting! An old friend of mine visited, and we reminisced about how we used to make sculpted-creations for each other as gifts! So I was inspired to make her this little guy for old time's sake:

 
Baby Grizzly Sculpt
(Click to enlarge)


I enjoyed the process so much, that I decided I would create more, even smaller sculptures! My first thought was of a tiny elephant, and how sweet he would be as an animal totem pendant! I thought it might be fun to see my process through the elephant's creation, so without further ado, here it is:

----
1.  Concept 
First, I go on my trusty computer to look for reference, this time of asian elephants. I chose asian elephants specifically because I remembered loving their structure and colors. Based on my reference (pictured left), I came up with this quick pen and digital sketch (right) for my elephant pendant:



Reference & My Original Concept
(Click to enlarge)

2. Sculpt
This little guy (pictured left) was my first draft. I used a small bunch of floral wire to bulk his body and give me a good handle to hold him by as I sculpted. I used Super Sculpey polymer clay and a myriad of wood and metal sculpting tools, and my hands to sculpt his body.

Once his sculpt was finished, it was baking time! The middle image shows him at the baking process, and the start of my casting a mold of him. I used Sculpey mold maker.

In the photo on the right, I have some of his family! It was my very first time creating a mold, so the elephant brethren on the right were very roughed out by the mold, and then I took over the rest of the sculpting by hand.

 
Elephant Sculpt Process
(Click to enlarge)

3. Hook & Paint
For the necklaces, I add a hook to the raw clay elephants and bake them in the oven already intact. Then it is painting time! I use all acrylic paints, and the (almost) finished product can be seen below! The last finishing touch I'd like to experiment with is adding a varnish to protect the paint further and make him look A+

Elephant Pendant, First Draft
(Click to Enlarge)

4. Review
I am always looking for ways to improve my work, and these guys are no exception! I am pretty happy with how they are looking so far, but like I said, I'd like to give them finishing touches. I will definitely experiment with varnish, and I would like to make the next group a little more pudgy in the body, and work on an even smoother surface finish of the sculpt.

I will post an update later with my improvements! But for now, this will conclude our Art-Thursday!

Thank you for reading, and check back next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment